Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sewing

Although I do not really know how to sew, I know from watching my grandma and helping her a little bit that it is an extremely fun, mind challenging and therapeutic activity to engage in. When you finish a piece or an outfit, you get the good feeling that you've just made something. You also get to save a lot of money by making your own clothes or other items and you can have fun at the same time. The reason I like sewing so much (although I'm not good at it and really have only made anything by trial and error) is that for me it was always a time to bond with my grandma. I would always watch her in her sewing room, and when she made something I got to see her finish it. My grandmother also used her sewing hobby to create family heirlooms for her grandchildren. Each one of us got a handsewn quilt with little animals on it. I still have mine and I intend to keep it forever. That's what's so cool about these types of hobbies (i.e. sewing, quilting, knitting, or whatever)...You can have fun and enjoy yourself but also create memories and sentimental things for others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment